|Cape Town +27 (0)21 551 9675||Johannesburg +27 (0)11 234 3554||KZN +27 (0)31 764 0436||Namibia +264 (0)61 253 383||Technologies +27 (0)21 551 9675||Angola +244 222 019 282|
What To Do When Your Workplace Is Burning?
Workplace Fire Emergency Evacuation Procedure.
The basic procedure:
1. Assist anyone who is in immediate danger.
2. Activate the building fire alarm, if the smoke detectors have not done so, and call 911 or the fire brigade.
3. Stop the fire from spreading too quickly by closing all the doors and windows to confine it. Do not attempt this if you will be putting yourself in danger to do so.
4. Evacuate the building.
5. Extinguish the fire if it can be done safely. Only use a fire extinguisher if the fire is small and can be put out safely.
What to do when stuck in a building fire
If you are on fire:
If you are trapped by the fire:
Note to the employer:
If one of your employees are injured in your building you may be held responsible, so it is best to always take the necessary precautions. How well you and your employees respond to a fire depends on how prepared you are.
1. All employees should be familiar with the evacuation procedures. The buildings emergency procedures should be posted in each department.
2. Buildings should be fitted with the appropriate fire protection engineering solutions. These include but are not limited to: